Thursday, January 24, 2008

I have to brag. . . for just a minute!

Evan and Jaxon have been under the weather since Tuesday evening. Evan got a fever kind of all of a sudden and started this nasty coughing. Jaxon has a nasty cough, but no fever.

Aaron had an early appointment on Wednesday morning, so I had to take Payton to school. I was a little nervous about how I was going to get all of us dressed, fed, etc. and out the door by 7:30 am. Tuesday night I tucked Payton into bed and told him that the next morning, I needed him to jump out of bed and get dressed because it would be a great help to me. He asked me to heat up pancakes for his breakfast. He was sweet and told me I could heat them up when I got up and then he would just eat them when he was ready - already helping me!!

I was up quite a bit Tuesday night between Jaxon & Evan. At 6 am I decided to just go ahead an get in the shower and get a head start on everything that had to take place before 7:30. I got out, got myself together and it was time to wake the boys up. I went in and told Payton to get up and he did. In about 10 minutes, he came out of his room completely dressed -- even his shoes! One down, 2 to go!

Evan still wasn't feeling good and Payton was taking care of him. Payton kept asking Evan how he was feeling. I was feeding Jaxon and Evan couldn't get his shoes on, so Payton did it for him. Payton offered his breakfast to Evan and said he would eat at school. I told Payton that I could fix them both breakfast if he wanted some. He said yes. (I'm not sure what he was thinking when he said he would eat at school. They don't have breakfast at school.)

I had just planned on getting Jaxon ready at coffee that morning and just taking him in his pajamas. But, I had decided to take the boys to the doctor instead, so while I was getting Jaxon changed and dressed, I guess Evan threw up in the living room floor. I walked by the bathroom door and Evan is over the toilet and Payton is rubbing his back telling him it will be ok and to just make it in the toilet.

I almost wanted to cry because he was being so sweet!! When I asked what happened, Payton told me that Evan took too big of drink of Gatorade and he threw up in the living room. I know Payton could see the frustration (not at Evan, just the situation) on my face when he said, "It's ok, mom. I cleaned it up."

Sure enough. . . Payton had cleaned up the spot almost where I couldn't even tell! I kept telling Payton over and over how much I appreciated him.

We got everyone in the car and Payton helped Evan buckle his seatbelt, which he hates doing. Then, he crawled in the front seat and off we went at 7:40 am. We made it to school on time and as Payton got out of the car to walk in the school, I was the proudest mom on the planet!!

Last night, Aaron said he would stay with the boys and I could go to life group. Payton & I were walking out the door when Evan jumped off the couch with his eyes swollen and red and his cheeks bright red. He said, "Mom! I'm feeling all better!" He wanted to go to life group so bad! I asked him if he would like it if Anna was going to get what he had. He said no. I explained that when we're sick, we stay home so that other people don't get what we have. He climbed back on the couch and Payton said, "It's ok, Evan. We'll be right back."

After life group, we were about to leave when Payton asked if he could get a cookie. I told him he could get one and he said, "But I need 2. I need to get one for Evan." GOSH!! What happened to this kid?!?! I love it!

We walked back in our house and Payton said, "Evan, how are you feeling?" Evan said, "My fever broke, but now it's back again." Payton said, "Well, I got you a cookie. Want to eat it in the kitchen?" Evan jumped off the couch and they enjoyed their cookies together.

Last night as I was going to bed, I was again reminded how fast my kids are growing up. But, I'm glad they're growing up as friends.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

AAAWWWWWWWW....... THAT WAS THE BEST BROTHER STORY I HAVE EVER HEARD. THAT MADE ME CRY. WHAT SWEET PRECIOUS BOYS YOU HAVE. YOU ARE TRULY BLESSED.

MONICA said...

Aahhh! Evan is such a sweet little man! That warms my heart so much! He sounds more like his Dad all the time. So Sweet!!

MONICA said...

Ooops! I meant Payton. Of course, Evan is a sweet guy too!!

Anonymous said...

i swear kids can sense when we need a little extra help. i remember being sick when justus was like 5 weeks old and he slept all through the night. it was such a blessing-i know he did it just so i could get some rest.

trish said...

Maybe like the millionth reason I love the Laughlin boys!