Thursday, June 26, 2008

Well, well, well -- Sorry it's long

Well, where to start? I think I've promised to post about my new scrapbook room for the last few posts. . . but don't really feel like it tonight. Well, maybe that can be the good news? I always hated when people ask if you want the good news or the bad news first. So, I'm going to give you some "bad" news, then some ok news, then some good news. How does that sound? Guess it doesn't matter, it's my blog. ;)

BAD NEWS:
Last Wednesday, I posted that I went to see Dr. A for my check up. This morning, I got a call from his office. My pap smear came back "abnormal". The phone conversation seemed like a blur really after she told me that. She said something about it could be anything from a yeast infection to a virus and don't worry. Don't worry? How do you say that? And how do you DO that? Oh, and they need me to come back in 3 months -- yes, 3 MONTHS -- and do a different one. I have to say that it all seems surreal. The fact is that I don't know anything besides "abnormal" which could be from several things. So, I really do have peace about it. But every once in a while, it tries to sneak up on me.

OK NEWS:
I'm taking the month of July off from children's church. I've had a heck of a week trying to fight it off and say I didn't need a break, although my husband knew better. This week I had a hard conversation with a person and it started with talking about control. Not being in children's church kind of freaks me out. I do totally believe my team will be just fine and do an amazing job. But, without children's church, I really don't know who I am. Most people relate to me through children's church and I've been serving in a church since I was 13 years old. I don't know how to 'just go to church'. But, I guess I'm going to learn.

I realized the other day that my kids need me, too. I've never been "just a mom" or "just a wife". Just a few months after Aaron and I were married, I started doing children's ministry and I've been doing it ever since with about 7 months in there somewhere that I didn't when we came to TCC/KLF. So, I'll have 20-30 hours a week that I was spending on children's church to spend on my husband, my kids, my house, myself. . . yikes -- myself. I have had Katieann watching the boys on Tuesdays so I can go up to the office to work, but I'm looking forward to having a day of doing whatever I want. . . although I'm not quite sure what that would be just yet.

The other day, Becky stopped by my office and I just flat out told her -- I'm not sure who I am apart from children's ministry. It almost makes me want to shake to even think about time off. There are some fears there, but I know this is God's timing and all will be ok. Monday I'm planning on tying up some loose ends and let everything start on Tuesday.

But, I am looking forward to a few things. On the top of my list is to clean my baseboards. Yes, you read that right -- the baseboards. I moved a dresser the other day and realized how bad they were behind the furniture and as I started looking, I realized how dirty they were out in the open! So, they will be getting cleaned for sure. Maybe a room or two will be a coat of paint. . one of my favorite pastimes.

GOOD NEWS X 4:
OK, so we've reached the 'good news' part and I actually have 4 things that are good. After going to Dr. A last week, I decided to quit drinking Dr. Pepper (or any coke product) and sweet tea. Day 1 was REALLY rough. I had the worst headache I've ever had! I totally understood why my mom used Dr. Pepper like ibuprofen. So, it's now been a week since I've had any of that and it's working out ok. I weighed myself on my scale when I got home last week and I weighed myself today. . . 2 pounds gone!! I am eating better, too. Today I took the kids to PrimeTime and we had lunch there. I saw the people next to me enjoying their giant hamburgers and I really wanted one. But, I refused and I had their grilled chicken salad. I was very impressed with how it hit the spot. And, I didn't feel extra heavy after I ate it. I have been walking when I get a chance for about 45 minutes. I always feel really good afterwards. I ordered a 90 day weight-loss program from Marty Copeland (Kenneth Copeland's daughter) and I'm going to start doing it once I go grocery shopping again. The good news is that when I go back to Dr. A for my 2nd pap smear, I should weigh quite a bit less. . . let's hope so.

GOOD NEWS #2:
I had a meeting this week with the Food Bank to talk about the possibility of using the portable building behind the CCRC for backpacks. It has to be insulated, cleaned out, etc. but I couldn't move forward on that until I had their ok. I got an e-mail a few weeks ago that they strongly discouraged using portable buildings for food distribution, but they would come and look at it. When they came on Tuesday, they were so excited for me and gave me the thumbs up. I could just go ON and ON and ON about how amazing those people are. I love working with them!!

GOOD NEWS #3:
I'm getting a new scrapbook room . . well, scrapbook building!! I'm so excited! Aaron won a hunting lodge from Hawk Portable Buildings at the single parent fundraiser and thought it would be for his dad. But, his dad suggested we take it and use it for my scrapbook room!! I went and talked to Cody about it and he said it would be about 3 weeks. Then, he came over on Tuesday night and had dinner with us and he said they already had one built & if I wanted it, they could deliver it on Friday! I did make a few minor changes to it, so I'm not quite sure I'll get it tomorrow, but it's possible. I'm just excited about it!! Randy also offered to help me with shelving/cabinets and with getting the electricity hooked up once it's in my backyard. It is also going to serve as an extra bedroom for us. It is going to have a bed that folds out from the wall so that when I need it, I can use it as a guest room, but when I don't, I still have floor space and it doesn't feel as cramped. I am totally excited about my very own space. Trish told me I could decorate it like the nursery I never got to paint . . . good idea! I already have ideas on how it is going to be. Hopefully I can get some of that done while Aaron's gone to the Grand Canyon. . . . which leads me to

GOOD NEWS #4:
Aaron left this evening for the Grand Canyon. . actually I think they're driving there tomorrow. I'm extremely excited for him. Yes, that means I have the kids 24/7 for 6 maybe 7 days, but I'm excited for him. Please pray for them while they're gone (Joel went with him). Please pray for us to find things to do. . . things that don't cost a lot of money. Pray that I sleep decent so I can be the fun mom and not the grouchy mom.

Please pray for Payton. He still has to wear Pull-Ups at night because he is such a hard sleeper that he wets the bed. Today we were at Sams and I bought some and he got really embarrassed. Most people think they're for Evan and I don't correct them IF they say anything, but Payton really got embarrassed today. He almost started crying in Sams! We all want this to stop so bad.

Well, that was WAY longer than I had originally planned. Oh well. . . lots going on. . . no lull here!

6 comments:

Brandi Wilson said...

Thank you for sharing your life so openly.

I've been praying for you today. The Lord wants to do more in your life than you can ever think, ask or imagine. (Isn't that what you're always saying?)

Peace to you Rachel.

Enjoy your month off!

Francesca said...

Rachel, God is going to bless this month off. I pray you will find, without a doubt, who you are. Not Miss Rachel. Just Rachel. I pray you have wonderful times with your children and husband. I pray you are refreshed and renewed to do what you are called to do. I pray you enjoy your new building. Most of all I pray you would never have the identity question after this. You will know, now and forever, who you are.

God's Warrior Bride said...

I know how hard it is not to be serving when that is what you are called to do, but you will find during this much needed break that God will 1) take care of everything and 2)He will bless your socks off. Enjoy this time, rest in the Lord, seek and you will find yourself once again. I promise. I will be praying for you and your health and remember doctors businesses are called practices - God is the great physician and his healing business is perfect.

Anonymous said...

I understand right where you are. I know God will show up and show you in ways you would not even imagine who you are. I know you will be blessed I speak peace apon you. You are a server that is for sure I bleive that in this month God wants to serve you.
Have a great month off... and just soak in all that God has for you.

trish said...

I love you Rachel. I have especially enjoyed the friendship we have developed completely separate form Children's church. I have enjoyed getting to know you as a person with many hats. You are a beautiful person. I look forward to doing fun things together with and without our children. Maybe you cold even give me painting pointers that would make it more fun for me to get myself in painting gear.
As far as Payton is concerned, I have a friend that took her daughter off of sugar to eliminate bedwetting. Since you are going sugar free maybe you could wean the boys and see what happens. Sugar-free is good for kids too. By sugar free for kids, I mean, high fructose corn syrup and refined white sugar. She still allowed snacks made from scratch sweetened with evaporated cane syrup and natural or organic sweeteners, in moderation.

Anonymous said...

Hey-I like your long posts! You are totally healed of whatever was up with the test results. Your month off is going to be so peaceful and relaxing. I know when Justus was born, I was so worried about releasing Ira to lead the worship...but it was great and I almost wanted to take some more time off! And about your scrapbooking building-it's going to be awesome! Now, when the guys are hanging out outside, we can hang out in your room!