A couple of weeks ago, I was having lunch with a college girl that is on my children's church team. Somehow the topic of adoption and abortion came up. I shared my story with this girl. She told me that if she found out tomorrow that she was pregnant, she would ask the guy to pay $150 & she would pay $150 and take care of it. For a split second, I didn't understand what she was saying. Then it hit me. . . this girl who serves on my children's church team where kids are the most important people on the planet just told me that she would have an abortion if she found out there was one inside of her.
I could have argued with her that day. I could have tried to persuade her to see my point of view. But, I specifically heard God say to be quiet. When I got home, I was telling Aaron about it and I was really upset! How could this girl say that?
On Sunday afternoon, Bethany & I were on our way to IKEA in Dallas and we were talking about adoption and abortion. I shared my story with Bethany and I told her about this lunch with this girl. Neither one of us understood where this girl was coming from and we talked about adoption, etc almost all the way there.
That night at 10:45, I received a phone call from that girl. She had just gotten a call from her best friend from back home (whose name is Bethany) just found out she is pregnant. This girl is 19 and the baby's dad is "just a nobody" (her words). She did a 3-way call with her friends to tell them the news, but to also tell them that she was going to the doctor this week and hopefully they could schedule her for an abortion by the end of the week so she could just "get this taken care of".
The college girl that is on my team broke into tears. She said, "I know that I told you a couple of weeks ago that I would have an abortion if I found myself in that situation, but tonight when I was on the phone, I couldn't tell my friend to do that. I told my friend about your story and how now you are happily married with 3 boys and she can make this work. But, I couldn't tell her to go get an abortion."
It still gives me chills just thinking about it. We prayed for this girl and prayed for the baby. There was a peace that both of us felt. I told her that I didn't know whether the girl was going to have an abortion or not, but the end question was going to be this: Will you still love her even if she does? I also shared with this girl that even though an abortion seems like it would be a quick fix, that eventually the emotional part would catch up to her friend. Either way she goes (adoption or abortion) you have to deal with the emotional side of things, but I have a much greater peace knowing that my baby is alive and well.
Anyway, continue to pray for these girls. I'm really at the point that I'll do anything to save this baby. My heart really wants to even adopt the baby if she'll just have it. But, I just want this girl to know that God still loves her.
2 comments:
That is amazing Rachel!
You have to know that you were used by God in this situation! I'm so proud of you.
My prayers are with both girls. It makes my heart sad when I hear of women who opt for an abortion. I would have given anything to have had a child with my Jeff, but that will never happen for us. I pray God opens their eyes to how special a gift it is to have a child.
Post a Comment