Friday, January 28, 2011

Slug Bug!

I haven't forgotten to finish the top 100 things I love about Brandi list, but I just had to blog about this before I forget about it.

SLUG BUG!!


This phrase is heard in our car ALL THE TIME!! I guess a few weeks ago, Aaron started playing it with the kids on the way to school and it's become a pretty fierce game! The kids have memorized where they will see one on the way to school.

There's a yellow one at the RV park in Clyde. There's a green one sometimes parked at the intermediate school by the cafeteria. There's a blue one at Judge Ely & North 1st. There's a bright yellow one at the car lot on North 1st & Sayles (or nearby & sometimes there's 2 of them!). There's a yellow one next door to the school. Those are the only ones I can remember.

Of course, there are random ones that we sometimes see driving to school. But, as we get close to one of these spots, the kids start getting really competitive! They start leaning forward in the car so they are sure to see it first. They might use their arm to hold the person sitting next to them back in the seat so they can't see. Or sometimes they try to cover their eyes so they can't see at all!

There are also these little games they play. For instance, if you say, "Slug Bug" and there isn't one, you lose a point. So, sometimes you'll hear one of them say, "Slud Bud" or "SSSSSSLLLLL" or "Slug Bu". They do this to try to get someone else to just blurt out "Slug Bug" without there being an actual car there.

Then, there's Jaxon. Jaxon doesn't quite understand what a Slug Bug looks like. He thinks this is a slug bug:

Or this:

Or this:

He would even think this is one!!

But, Jaxon is funny about it. He'll say, "Slug Bug! Ha ha! I got it! I called it! Ha ha!" When we point out that it isn't a slug bug, he'll say, "I know but I called it. I got it! Ha ha!" Sometimes the boys will "give" Jaxon a slug bug that they see. He gets so excited and says, "Yay! I'm going to beat my record, Mom!"

I think Payton's record is almost 20. I think Evan's record is about 9. Jaxon's record is always 1, so if he sees 2, he can beat his record. For some reason, his record never goes up -- it's always 1. My record is 8, but I was by myself when I saw all of them, so the boys say that doesn't count. :(

1 comment:

Brandi Wilson said...

I would love love love to have the pink bug at the top of your post!!!! I've always said that since I have to drive such a big car for my family I would love a tiny car for me just to run errands in when I'm alone or just have 1 or 2 kids.

I retired from Slug Bug about two years ago because my kids started adding things like "Hummer Hammer" Which means you can hit someone like a hammer. "Cruiser Bruiser" Obvious. "Fed-X Shred-X" " You get to shred someone by scratching them. Duck Truck" You better duck before someone hurts you. "Toe Truck" which means you get to hurt someone's toe.

Rough! I know! I quit playing. The girls followed. The boys still play, but now they just "Call" the other ones, but they still slug for slug bug.