This Christmas has been a trip for the record books!! The trip to Aaron's parents' house was pretty uneventful. Jaxon did great on the drive and he only got up one time the first night!!
Saturday morning, we woke up and the boys and I were going to head to my parents' house, but my mom called and said not to come without Aaron because it was blowing snow so bad she couldn't see her back fence. So, we waited on Aaron to finish hunting and we piled in the car. When we left Wheeler, it was just starting to snow just a little bit.
But, as we neared Pampa (40 miles away), the blowing snow got worse. We had to slow way down in spots because we couldn't see very well and the roads were starting to get icy. The road comes to a Y and we weren't even sure how we were going to get out into the road.
We made it into the road and we met a pickup who was flashing his lights. Aaron slowed way down because he thought that meant there was a wreck up ahead. He was right. We were driving along and the snow was blowing, but all of a sudden, we were in a whiteout. We couldn't see a thing!! Then, I look over to the side and there is a semi-truck and a pickup in the ditch. Both of which are really bashed in. There were car parts in the road that we were having to dodge while trying not to run into the person in front of us. I look to the other side of the road and there is another semi-truck and a car or two.
We keep seeing cars in the ditches on each side. We're trying not to hit the person in front of us and we're praying that nobody is coming up behind us. We see a black SUV . . at least I think it was a SUV. The top was crumpled and bashed in. The windshield and windows were busted out. We see a man pulling a woman out of it by her legs through a hole that she would barely fit through. It was a miracle that she only had a scratch on her face about the size of a quarter. We felt bad for her and wanted to stop and let her get in because it was so cold outside, but we had to keep moving to keep from getting hit and we didn't have any room, either.
I cannot tell you how bad that situation was. We know that there had to be at least one person dead, but we thought there would be more. That was the first time I think I've ever felt 100% out of control and where we had to completely rely on God to get us through. The kids were watching a movie, so they didn't see any of it. I'm really thankful for that. It was scaring Aaron and I enough that I can't imagine what my kids would have thought. Or it might not have really registered to them. We probably missed being in the middle of this wreck by 10 minutes or so.
I'm not even doing the story justice as I type (I'm really tired), but I'm so thankful that we had angels on our side! Here's a link to the local story:
26 Car Pile Up
We made it through and made it to Aaron's grandpa's house were we were able to wait out the storm. It was quite an adventure. A trip that should have taken an hour and a half ended up taking 6 hours! But we arrived save and in one piece. . . for that I am thankful.
5 comments:
Praise Jesus...where would we be without him?
He is soooo amazingly good all of the time!
Welcome home Laughlin family, welcome home!
I'm glad I got to talk to you on the phone the other day while you were still driving.
I'm thankful for your protection and for the kids not being upset.
Maybe you should switch holidays. You could go there for Thanksgiving instead of Christmas. Just a thought.
Hey, I have some presents for you over at my house...
May peace break into your house and may thieves come to steal your debts. May the pockets of your jeans become a magnet of $100 bills. May love stick to your face like Vaseline and may laughter assault your lips! May your clothes smell of success like smoking tires and may happiness slap you across the face and may your tears be that of joy. May the problems you had forget your home address! In simple words ............
May 2008 be the best year of your life!!!
God is so good! I'm so thankful that you guys were all safe!
WOW what a story. God went before you guys and cleared the way...
Glad that you are all home safe..
Post a Comment