Saturday, March 22, 2008

We're back -- FINALLY!

OK, so I lied in my last post. We just THOUGHT we were headed home on Thursday! We got to the airport only to find out that our flight (along with several others) had been cancelled and we couldn't fly out until Friday at 2:45 pm. Great. We had to stand in a forever long line to get to the ticket counter to talk to someone about all of it. Everyone around us was on their cell phones telling the people on the other end what they were going to say when they got up there -- and it wasn't very nice. We got up there and the ticket people were all in good moods considering the circumstances. They were hilarious! We didn't yell and scream at them. The man was very helpful, but wasn't able to get us home that night. The airline did pay for our hotel room and food, but we were out by the airport in the middle of nowhere, so we really couldn't go do anything. Plus, the restaurant food was VERY expensive and wasn't completely covered by our vouchers, so we had to spend a little extra money. I wanted to throw a fit like a little kid -- this was NOT part of the plan!

Anyway, we stayed one more night and braved the airports on Friday (yesterday). We got there about noon and made it through security after standing in line forever. Then, my bag had to be searched. She pulled stuff out and rubbed it with this wipey thing, said OK, and handed my bag back to me. Interesting.

We got on our plane at 2:30 and we were the only flight to DFW that was saying "On Time". We sat in the plane for an hour and it took 30 minutes to taxi out to the runway. It took almost 4 hours to fly to DFW, which meant we were going to miss our next plane. Great. I sat next to a man who snored the whole way and on the other side was a cute Muslim girl, but she didn't speak any English.

We get to DFW after what seemed like a forever long flight (landed at 6:30 our time) and sure enough, we missed our flight. The next flight out is at 9:15 pm (boarding at 8:55). Great. We ate at Chili's and sat there waiting.

We boarded our airplane at 9:15 (late again). We landed in Abilene at 10 pm and go to the luggage claim. Our luggage isn't on the belts. We head up to customer service and find out our luggage is there. Thank goodness!!

We pull in our driveway at 11 pm and walk into the house to some extremely excited children. I'm glad to be home, but I'm really tired. We had Payton a birthday party today, which only 3 kids showed up to, but that was probably a blessing for me.

I'm getting ready to do it all again on Tuesday to head to Redding, CA. Hopefully our flights will go better.

Aaron came up with a new slogan for American Airlines. They should say, "Thank you for flying American Airlines. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

Here are a few pictures to share. I haven't had time to "fix them", but maybe I'll have a chance to do that on the flight to California and I'll upload them once I get there on Tuesday. Isn't any time between now and then to get them fixed.

Aaron with some big billboard behind him. . yes, we knew what it was!
Just thought it would be funny!

Rockefeller Center

Getting on The Subway

St. Patrick's Day @ the Today Show -- that's Lester Holtz
(I think that's how you spell it)

Can you see Al Roker?

See Meredith?

The World Trade Center

Monica, we didn't get down there to get the bull picture. We found a picture of it in the internet store, but we couldn't figure out how to get it home because it was in a frame and our carry-on bags were already full. I wanted to buy a CD that was a picture postcard CD, but we looked down the street and our taxi was there -- 15 minutes early and New Yorkers aren't the most patient people! ;)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG. I LOVE THE PICTURES. HOLY COW BATMAN YOU GOT TO GO THE TODAY'S SHOW. THAT IS SO KEWL.

Anonymous said...

pic's are great i am glad you had a good time sorry for the flight mess...

Anonymous said...

yeah nyc! i want to go now! i just need justus to get in the top 8 of that beautiful baby contest!

MONICA said...

Great pics, thanks for trying about the Bull, no worries we will just have to go and get the shot ourselves ;) Enjoy Cali!!