I cannot tell you how humbled I was this afternoon. I took all the backpacks up to the school -- all 27 (serving 31 kids) of them filled with food and ready to go to these kids. We had a short meeting just to go over the details and then they started bringing in the kids. They brought in the Pre-K kids and they all sat in a circle in the floor while Mrs. B went over the stuff. One little boy hugged his backpack and said, "This is all my food? For me?" Mrs. B was telling them to not share their food with their friends. They could share it with their brothers and sisters, but not their friends. Another little boy said, "Do I have to share with my parents?" Mrs. B told him that it was his food and he could decide if he wanted to do that or not. A smile came across his face. Another child said, "Are you doing this because we don't have any food in our house?" That's when I almost lost it. After that class left, Mrs. B looked at K (from the food bank) and asked her how she was doing. She was just smiling and said she was fine. Mrs. B looked at me and asked me how I was doing. She said, "Are you about to cry?" I had to be honest -- I was!! I told them that it made me sad, but made me very excited about being able to put food in their hands today.
I explained how we were using our stay-at-home-moms and mainly their kids to pack the backpacks. They thought it was genius (thank Joel for that one)! I cannot even begin to tell you how excited the school is about this program and our willingness to bless their kids. What an exciting adventure this is!! God is so awesome!!
1 comment:
okay so I am crying just reading about it!
Man I wish I was there to help!
Post a Comment