Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Angel Tree

Last week I posted about not sure whether to go to the intermediate with the backpack program or stay in the elementary.

I called Joel since he is my right-hand man and I expected him to say we had to move and feed more kids and just go for it and the money will come and just get out of my comfort zone and on and on and on. But, he didn't say any of that. He said he felt like we had a wide open door at the elementary and that we have already told them that if they needed coats, shoes, clothes, etc. that we would be there to help. Plus, right now I don't have anyone that is willing to commit to being at the intermediate every Friday to help load the backpacks and pass them out.

Anyway, I felt a complete peace after talking to Joel -- we were on the same page. So, we go to drop off backpacks on Friday and the principal comes in and tells us she has a list of kids that the teachers want to help with their Christmas. All of our backpack kids are on there plus a few others. The list has 51 kids on it and she was a little overwhelmed with how it was all going to work out. I committed to at least we could help with toys. But, then I forgot about it on Sunday morning to announce it.

Monday, I was trying to figure out how to pull this off in such a quick time frame when Jerod asked me if I did anything with my kids at Christmas time. I told him that sometimes we'll get an angel from the tree and buy something or we've bought toys for Toys for Tots. But I told him that this year, I wanted to buy for some kids on the elementary school's list and I told him the story. Jerod jumped on board and said he wanted to do that too.

After our meeting, Jared came in my office and asked me if I wanted to do this. I said yes. He asked me if I wanted to be the central administrator for it all. I said yes. He said, "Then, let's just pray it in." He started praying and when he was finished, I started laughing. I couldn't get over how much fun all of this is going to be!! He got on the phone and told me to do the same and see what we could get people to commit to up front. We got $100!!

So, this Sunday, we are going to have an "angel tree" at church. We are going to ask people to take an "angel" (it's actually a present) with a child's name on it. They are to buy one toy and a complete outfit (shirt, pants, & socks) for that child. Shoes are optional and they can do more if they want. All the items have to be turned in at KLF Downtown on Tuesday (that's the quick part). On Wednesday, I'm going to take those presents to the elementary school so they can give these presents to the parents. The school wants to give it to the parents so they can use it for Santa or say it's from them that way the kids don't know it's from the school. The other good thing is that now those parents can spend what money they do have on their other kids.

Anyway, if you're interested in doing this and getting a head start, please let me know by leaving a comment or by giving me a call. We are contacting everyone we know that might want to do it before Sunday so they can have the weekend to shop and not have to have such a quick turn-around. We're also going to take up a special offering on Sunday for this project. Then, the kids that are left over after church on Sunday (if any), we'll go on a massive shopping trip!!

How fun is this life I live?!?! My God has more than enough for these kids!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to do it!

Unknown said...

THIS IS SO AWESOME. WAY TO GO GIRL.