Friday, November 20, 2009

Kisses from Heaven

Ever just know that something is a direct kiss from God? Here's what has been happening to me in the last few weeks:

Trish invited me to a school meeting to talk about backpacks. I went and spoke (or rambled) to a room of about 12 people who had blank faces as I spoke. I sat down wondering why in the heck I was at that meeting. As soon as it was over, I was descended upon by women who wanted to help. One is the PTO president (Heather) at the intermediate school and is a member of the Baptist Church. A couple of other women from the Baptist Church sat down and started asking how they could help. It was almost overwhelming. We started talking about the need for backpacks in the Intermediate School and we got a plan. Our plan is that we will be handing out backpacks in the Intermediate School in January.

This past Thursday, I needed to go buy sacks to pack the backpacks in. It was after school and I had all 3 kids with me at the new Wal-Mart. I was in WM when I realized that I had forgotten to go to Sams earlier. I checked to see if WM sold the sacks like they do at Sams -- no such luck. I decided to ask my cashier and she said she couldn't give any to me. As I was walking out to the car, I was dreading telling my kids that we were going to have to go back to Sams just for sacks. I put all of my groceries in the car and went to put my cart up. Right there on the ground right next to the cart stall was a WM sack stuffed full of empty sacks! I was talking on the phone and picked them up and put them in my car. I didn't even realize how big of a deal that was until I was driving on my way home. It hit me that those sacks could have blown away or someone could have thrown them away, but they were just what I needed right when I needed them!! Praise God!!

So, last night, a life group from the Baptist Church showed up to help pack the backpacks. There were probably 20 people that showed up!! They had 2 weeks worth of backpacks packed within 20 minutes -- YES, 2 WEEKS WORTH IN 20 MINUTES and that included the time it took to switch the food out!! It was crazy!! They were such a HUGE blessing to me! I would have been there for hours packing away, but I didn't have to do it by myself. They asked me if I had any prayer requests. I told them that obviously, I am needing finances, but I'm also believing God for a bigger building and I'm wanting to feed more kids. Once I get more shelving in there and start feeding more kids, I'm going to need more room!! They prayed for me and I'm telling you, I don't know them personally, but I know that there were KEY people in that group.

So today, I go do backpacks and I was talking to Heather. She talked to Pastor Toby & he is totally on board with supporting backpacks. In 2 weeks, she is going to do a presentation at the Baptist Church and ask people to sponsor a child until the end of the year. She is a mover and a shaker for sure! I'm so excited!!

We've also started working on our Project Christmas where we buy presents for kids who might not have a Christmas. That is the FUNNEST project I think I've ever been involved with. It's amazing to see all of the presents lined up knowing they are going to be such a HUGE blessing to those kids!!!

A few weeks ago, I felt like the fuse had been lit on the backpack bomb. . . looks like it's getting closer to exploding!!!

3 comments:

Tai Ann McClendon said...

YEAH!! So excited for you Rachel!! Awesome!

Becky said...

Calling comes with anointing!! It might not come as quickly as you might want and expect, but David wasn't king in a day...it took time. So! Yes, I expect it to explode because you have the calling and the anointing!

Unknown said...

holy moly I had no idea that you needed Wal-Mart sacks. I bet my houe hold alone could supply you for a month.
If the church would make an announcement that you need wal-mart sacks I bet we could hook you up girl. Im gonna save them up and bring them to you. Just get ready.