Today started out as an amazing day!! Backpacks got some money that was a large amount and it will allow us to expand to feed more kids -- good thing!!
Then, I got a phone call. They were asking if I could come to the elementary school to do some grief counseling. A second grade teacher passed away this morning and they were going to tell the class at 1:30. My heart just sank. I've been with friends when they find out that their loved one has passed away. I've experienced it myself, getting the notice. But, I don't think I've ever been there when a child receives the news.
I had to cancel a lunch that I was really looking forward to. To be honest, my flesh wanted to say that those kids would be ok without me. . . that the school had enough help. . . that I could still go to my lunch and have fun. . . but, I knew what I needed to do. It really is quite an honor for the school to call me and ask me to be there.
So, I went to the school and walked in the library. You could feel the atmosphere of the school was really sad. I walked into the library and they had already started telling her class. Some kids were crying. Others were just sitting there. Some were just more concerned about getting outside to play.
I watched as some of these kids went outside and it was like it hit them. They came back in crying and decided to color pictures, most of them for their teachers. I felt bad for the teachers because they had to be strong for their students as they were sad themselves.
It was also like some kind of door had been opened up for the kids to talk about their own experiences. One little boy, on his way out the door, started telling the counselor, "My dad (something about buying alcohol, drugs, & cigarettes) and I don't even know if he's still alive." This little boy was almost stone cold to the fact that he didn't even know if his dad was alive or dead. Can you imagine?!?!
The counselor was talking to me afterwards and she just said, "This isn't the job I signed up for." She went on to tell me that on Wednesday, she was ready to quit. She said, "If I have to hear one more story about something like 'my mom tried to poison me when I was a baby' . . . " She then went on to tell me that it really happened -- she had to listen to it and do something about it. I just told her that I don't know how she does it.
Please pray for these teachers and the students. Please pray for Mrs. Verden (the counselor). Tomorrow at backpacks, we're going to spend a little more time with the 2nd graders just to check up on them.
3 comments:
Hey Rachel,
i think the teacher that died was a dear friend of mine.. I got the news that she had died today as well.. I was just praying for those kids earlier today... and man... I am glad that you were able to be there with them.
Love you! Praying for you!
What an honor for you to be asked to come up there with the kids! I know that must have been sad to see their little faces.
We missed you at lunch, but I'm glad you were doing what you needed to be doing. I'm proud of you.
I AGREE WITH BRANDI. THAT WAS AN HONOR TO BE ASKED TO COME INTO THE SCHOOL.
MANY DOORS HAVE OPENED FOR YOU THROUGH BACK PACK FOR KIDS AND FATHER IS STILL OPENING MORE FOR YOU TO WALK THROUGH.
YOU ARE AWESOME BY THE WAY.
Post a Comment