Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Spoon Full of Sugar Helps the Medicine Go Down . . .

I wish Marry Poppins was right on this one! A few weeks ago, I had to take Jaxon to the doctor because he was running a high fever. Come to find out, he had an ear infection and she thought he had the flu -- great. . . So, after getting his medicine (who knew Tamiflu was $86!!), we headed home. I just knew that medicine time would be a breeze with this kid. Boy, was I wrong.

It started with Tylenol for his fever -- the purple kind.
Then, there was amoxicillin for the ear infection.
Finally, there was Tamiflu for the flu symptoms.
I got them all lined up in neat little medicine cups and told Jaxon it was time to take his medicine. He started screaming how he didn't love medicine and how he didn't want to take it. He was flopping all over the place! So, night #1, I ended up holding him down and putting it in his mouth. I was thinking this was going to be the longest 10 days of my life! :)

The next night, things started out the same -- crying, flopping, screaming, etc. Then, Aaron took Jaxon outside to calm down. When they came back in, Jaxon was ready to take his medicine like a big boy. What?!?

However, he started whining again when Aaron sat him down in front of the medicine. So, Aaron started "the timer". He started counting down from 10 and Jaxon had to drink all of one medicine cup before he got to zero. HALLELUJAH, IT WORKED!!

Jaxon was a champ with all 3 cups! We thought we had found the perfect solution until the next day . . . it all started again. Here's how my attempts at the timer worked:

Take 1: (Insert video that won't upload here). Jaxon didn't beat the timer.
Take 2: (Insert another video). Jaxon drinks some of the amoxicillin and almost throws up.
Take 3: (Insert another video). Jaxon is crying and fussing about how he can't take his medicine because he doesn't love it.
Take 4: (No video). I end up holding him down and putting it in his mouth.

The next morning, it was the same thing. But that evening, something clicked for him. He finally decided that he would take the medicine because it would make him bigger than Payton. Then, he got to where he just wanted to lay on the couch and let me drip it into his mouth. This past week when he had to take more medicine for his leg (more on that next), he wanted me to drip it in his mouth again.

So, maybe I should try the sugar next time!

No comments: