Monday, November 12, 2007

The Golden Compass

I have received an e-mail about this movie several times over and I thought I would post on here. I haven't read the books and I haven't seen the movie, but from what I read, I think we should all be careful when considering taking our kids to see this movie. It comes out on December 7th and has been made to look like the Narnia series, but it is far from it.

I am going to do more research on the subject, but I plan on having something to hand parents about the movie on Sunday. I don't think we should be Christians who get a rise out of movies and get all crazy about boycotting them. I just think we need to be informed about movies -- especially ones that are directed at our kids.

So, here's a link that a children's church curriculum writer put together:
http://truthquest.net/newsletter/newsletter-goldencompass07.html

At the bottom of the article, there are different research places to see for yourself. This week I'm planning on researching this out.

3 comments:

Brandi Wilson said...

Wow! I was planning on taking the kids to see that movie. It looks so good. You're right it does look just like the Narnia movies. Let me know what you think after you do the research! Thanks.

Jennifer said...

I have been getting the emails from friends also about this movie. I read about the books a long time ago to see what they were about and that's when I found out about the author and his agenda. The books really are worse than the movie, especially the last one.

Rachel said...

Yes, from what I have read, the books are a lot worse, but the author is planning on making this a series like Harry Potter. It gets the kids into it in the first movie and it gets worse as it goes along. I'm still researching. I'll post my findings.