Monday, November 05, 2007

Creativity

"You're so creative!" I've heard that several times over the last few weeks and I have to say that is my favorite compliment. . . not necessarily how good I look or how good my hair looks, etc, but that I'm creative. I love to be creative!

I have realized over the last month or so that if I can be creative for just one hour a day, it makes my day so much better! Sometimes I sit down and plan out some cards. Sometimes I have project going in my scrapbook closet and I leave it out where I can stop by and work on it for a few minutes at a time. Sometimes I find a creative tv show and sit for an hour or so soaking it up.

My favorite creative show lately has been "Ace of Cakes". These guys are AMAZING!! They make different cakes, but they aren't your everyday kind of cakes! The other night, they made a gumball machine cake and one lady was working on a Scrabble cake. I cannot even begin to describe how much these cakes looked like the real thing!! One night they made a cake for the 80th birthday of a guy who started a local hamburger joint a long time ago. So, they made him a cake that had a hamburger (no veggies because that's how he served them) and onion rings. They made this red basket thing with the paper underneath the hamburger. Again, I cannot tell you how real it looked when they were finished!!

The creative part isn't always how the cake is going to look, but how to make it look like whatever it is. The other night, one lady was working on a slot machine. She wasn't getting the look she was going for, so she had to go back to the "drawing board" and figure out how to make it bigger so that it looked more realistic -- problem solving -- another one of my sometimes favorite things to do.

Anyway, I went to a children's conference one time and they talked about creativity and how most people don't look at themselves as creative. But, the Bible says that God created us in HIS IMAGE and let me tell you, my God is CREATIVE! Just look around you. . . He made everything and no two things are alike!! How creative is that?!?

OK, so I'm off to be creative for an hour before my day really starts (aka when Evan gets up). I'm going to challenge you to do something creative today. . . get those creative juices flowing!! ;)

4 comments:

Brandi Wilson said...

My favorite compliment is, 'I don't know how you do it all." That always makes me feel great.

I also love/need to be creative. I feel better about life when I'm making something for someone.

You really ARE SO CREATIVE! My scrapbook station is full of your creativity.

Becky and Bryan said...

Before every photo shoot I speak over myself "I thank you that I'm creative because you are creative" and I believe that...my creativeness in portrait photography is because I'm made in His image. Same as you.

Anonymous said...

when God uses me to write a new song, i get really excited. what a privilege.

Lydianna Bradford said...

For a season I didnt think of myself as creative...I think I thought this because I'm not into any creative hobby or anything but I'm beginning to realize I am creative in different ways. I am a creative teacher...both with adults and children. I'm a creative Mom, coming up with activities and games and I'm creative in how I manage my home and tasks. Plus, when I do set aside the time and energy for a project (planning a party, making a card) they usually turn out well. I just don't do this very often....because of time to a point and also because I'd rather read a book (isn't that sad?)

Anyways, I guess my point is that I think that we are all creative because like Rachel said we are made in the image of a very creative creator!

If someone asked me, Who is the most creative person you know? I'd have 2 answers....Rachel Laughlin and Lydianna Bradford. So far, Lydianna is all about art and projects and such. She will paint for hours! I think Adalee may be my bookwork. When we were in Texas, I was amazed over and over again by the things you came up with.