Thursday, November 30, 2006

You ARE going to eat that!

This week, I decided that I'm tired of being a short order cook. I'm tired of hearing, "I don't like that" or an hour after dinner, "I'm hungry" because they didn't eat. So, I decided that this week, we are going to eat what is put on our plates -- at least try it. I'm not loading their plates up with things I know they won't like. I'm just giving them enough for 3 or 4 bites. They at least have to try that many bites before they can say they don't like it.

Night 1 was AWFUL!!!! It was terrible!! I made this soup that I had been craving. The only thing is that it has beans in it -- which Aaron will not eat. And, not just 1 can of beans, about 6 cans of three different kinds of beans. I called to see what Aaron wanted for dinner and he didn't know. I was craving it and decided that's the way it was going to be.

Everyone gets to the table and the whining begins. "I don't like this." "I'm not going to eat it." "You know I don't like that." "Fine. I just won't eat." Aaron didn't say a word. He put VERY LITTLE in his bowl and he ate it. He also made himself a PB&J sandwich. I didn't say anything. The kids didn't eat. My poor brother-in-law had to be here on night one of the "new rules". Sorry Eric!!

Night 2 was the biggest power struggle I've had in a long time! Pork chops, rice, & mashed potatoes. I know it's 2 starches, but that's what Aaron wanted. My brother-in-law, again, had to endure the whining. But, after about an hour of not budging, plates were clean and Payton and Evan both decided they like rice. Payton still hates mashed potatoes.

Night 3 was MUCH better!! Country style pork ribs, green beans, & sweet potatoes. I know what you're thinking -- I'm just trying to punish them!! Not so!! Sweet potatoes are good and they're good for you!! They walked in the kitchen with very little whining. I did hear "I don't like that" a few times, but I just kept going. They ate all of their pork chops and their green beans and Payton was ready to play XBox. I told him there would be no video games until those sweet potatoes were gone (I gave him probably 3 bites). He took his fork and took the tiniest bite I've ever seen. I turned my back and they were all gone. He brought me his plate and said, "Can I have more of those?" pointing to where his sweet potatoes WERE. He ate 2 helpings of them!!! Even Evan decided to give them a try and proudly exclaimed, "Mommy! I wike them! Those are doooooood!!!"

1 comment:

Brandi Wilson said...

Man, I'm glad to see a few posts on here! I was feeling really lame for checking all the time if you had anything new. My favorite story was the bathroom one.
Nurse Christy was letting my girls take pictures of everything with her phone today. I told her that I was recently reading an article about children and cell phones. There was a survey about who thought that 8 year olds should have cell phones. I say, "Uh, None." Well, several people thought they should have them. There's even a boy in Joey's class that has his own cell phone. Before I had finished the article I told Randy that when a kid can pay for a cell phone he should have one. Only 3% of people agreed with me.
What does all this have to do with your post? Well, I was thinking that it was neat that your 3 year old (and mine) knows how to take pictures on a phone. My 6 year old already likes to call friends from school. My 8 year old can run the whole computer. My 4 year old can spell computer...WOW. They grow up fast. I think that was my point.