Wednesday, February 14, 2007

God is good -- even in the middle of strep throat!!

Payton has been running a fever for the past few days. He feels good as long as the fever is gone, but when the fever hits, it knocks him out!! So, he woke up this morning with a sore throat, a fever, and some nasty cough. I decided that we should just go ahead and take him to the dr. because if it was strep throat, hopefully we could catch it soon enough and it wouldn't get that bad.

We went to the doctor and $97 later, he has strep throat. The doctor tells me that he needs to be checked in 10 days to make sure it goes away because if it doesn't, it could lead to heart damage and liver failure and kidney failure. OK . . .

We go to Wal-Mart to get his prescription filled. I gave the girl the slip of paper and she asked if we had any kind of insurance or prescription card -- we don't. So she says, "Would you like me to tell you how much it's going to be?" I said sure -- great idea. She says, "It will be $148. What?" (Yes, she said WHAT?) I said, "For one prescription, it's going to be $148?!?!" She said yes, but they would call the doctor and see if he would give him a generic, which would make it cheaper. Come back in 10 minutes for the verdict.

I took the boys to the McDonald's in Wal-Mart and just sat there praying because I didn't want to throw away $250 in one day on some stupid sore throat! We ate lunch and headed back to the pharmacy. I just kept asking God to give us favor. We got to the counter and I told them who I was. The pharmacist said, "Oh yeah. We got them to change it, so it's going to be $8." EIGHT DOLLARS!!! EIGHT DOLLARS!!! Wal-Mart now has the $4 generic prescriptions, so the new medicine didn't come in a container big enough, so they just gave us 2 bottles -- $4 each.

As the pharmacist was mixing the medicine, he just said that they used to give the medicine Payton is getting all the time for strep, but they've got this other one that is just a little bit stronger, but it's way more expensive, so they prescribe it. He said the one Payton got was just as good, though. YAY!

I thanked him for helping me to save so much money and went about my day. Payton and Evan are both sleeping now, which is nice. I am a little upset, though, because now we can't go to the Valentine's Day banquet at church. We have never been to one since we've been here. The first one, we did child care. The second one, Evan had RSV. Last year we didn't have one and this year Payton has strep. I even went out last night and bought a neat outfit for it. Oh well. I think it will be fun to stay home and just hang out -- not as much fun as being with everyone, but it will be just fine. Maybe Aaron will bring dinner home (or something) and we'll start a fire and just hang out at home.

7 comments:

Pamelotta said...

Grrrrr for the first part. Yeah for the middle part. Bummer for the last part. I want something to work out for you, but I don't know if your kids would want you gone while their sick.

Pamelotta said...

I know, Fran, I spelled their wrong. It should read they're.

Natalee said...

Oh Dear Rachel! I am so sorry. If I was anywhere close by I would get Traci Montoya's little sister to baby sit( she is a registered nurse)

I am sorry

God is good even when you don't get to go to the Valentines banquet.

Kevin said...

Oh Rachel! praise God for the medicine!

I am sorry about the Valentine's Day banquet. When we lived there in the five years we were at the church we never got to go to one either. I always worked nights! The one time it was on a Saturday -BH asked (told) us we had to do nursery as the children's pastors!

So we missed them all! I do feel like I missed out, but you know what, I always had a wonderful time with Ash the next night or so, as we went out to dinner and shopping.

ericaprosser said...

We really did miss you two last night. Let's go out for a do-over, dress up and everything!

Rachel said...

We really did have a great time. Aaron cooked dinner -- it was really good. Then, the guys played a little bit of Xbox and I made a baby card. I cleaned up my office while Aaron was online. We put the boys to bed and watched a little tv, then went to bed ourselves. It was a great evening anyway!!

Jennifer said...

I LOVE generic!