Saturday, June 30, 2007

In the words of my husband . . . .

What is wrong with people?!?!

OK, I'm just kidding, but he really did say that when I told him part of the story I'm about to share with you.

Friday night, I went to a crop at the scrapbook store. I really need to just have a little bit of silence and unwind from my crazy and not-so-fun week. I thought I was going by myself, but my friend, Brandi came pretty much for the same reason.

I'll start out at the beginning because I thought it was cool. I put my stuff on the table and got my stuff out. I was on a mission to finish some layouts, so I had a plan and I was going to be very task oriented. Well, the ladies that were already there were talking when the lady across from me said something about living in Clyde. My ears perked up and I asked her where in Clyde. She told me she lived in Shalimar. She asked where I lived and we found that she had never been to "that side of town". I thought it was hilarious -- that Clyde had "the other side", but even funnier that she hadn't really ventured out in the big ol' city!!

Anyway, we kept talking and she started telling me about her house. I asked her what street it was on and she told me. I said, "To the right or to the left?" She said to the left. She said it was a rock house that needed major updating. I asked her if there was a ramp that went from the kitchen to the living room!! THERE WAS!!! I asked her about the funny wallpaper in the bathroom and it's still there!!!

STORY ON THAT ONE: When we first decided to move to Clyde, we went and looked at that EXACT house!! It was really cheap, but it had a ton of potential. By the time we decided to make an offer on it, they said a military guy had already bought it. That military guy was her son!!!

Anyway, I thought that was HILARIOUS!! How weird is that??! Anyway, we talked about the house, etc. until Brandi got there.

Down the table, there was a lady talking about how her teenage daughter came home and told her that she would do what she wanted when she wanted and with who she wanted. I think the girl moved out (I could be wrong on that one). Anyway, this mom acted like she didn't do anything about it. . . that's just the way it was. WHAT?!?!

There were some ladies on the other side of Brandi that were talking and one of the ladies was mortified at the thought of being a stay at home mom!! She was shocked that the lady next to her stayed at home! She had kids of her own and was not about to stay home with them!! Brandi heard more of that conversation than I did, but we both thought it was hilarious!

Now, imagine those ladies' shock when they found out later in the evening that Brandi has 5 kids and she stays at home with them!!! It was absolutely hilarious!!! They asked her how old they were, which threw them into more shock at how close they all were! On the inside, I was laughing hysterically!! We heard their horror stories about how their kids are terrible with each other fighting and they made it into such a big deal. Brandi just told the truth and I loved how she was answering their questions knowing the shock value every answer had!! It was so funny!!

I'm so glad that we see our kids as blessings!! Last night on my way home, I was thinking about how my kids do get on my nerves sometimes and my kids aren't always perfect angels, but I choose to see my kids as a blessing. I can't imagine any different!!

Anyway, so there goes my quiet evening at the scrapbook store unwinding. I was glad Brandi came. I talked more than I thought I would. She read a book. You always learn something new at those things, though!! And, I did get 7 pages done (for the most part).

4 comments:

Brandi Wilson said...

Rachel, That was so funny! I was enjoying every minute of making sure they knew I enjoyed taking care of my children.
Don't you wish we had a remote so we could push pause and talk about the weird stuff that was happening?
I was shocked at some of the stuff I was hearing.
Well, I had fun with you.

Lydianna Bradford said...

Rachel,
I have moments like these with the Mom's group every day. I know they think I am "out there" but I just keep going and persistently loving them and their kids. I think the way we parent and enjoy our kids is a powerful testimoney. I'm so honored to have the opportunity to help shape the lives of my girls....it's hard to believe that so many parents don't look at it that way.

Lydianna Bradford said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there! Man, that would have been funny/sad.