So today was our first Sunday with all of our kids under the same gym roof. We had 56 kids today!! 50 and above seems to be the "norm" over the last few months, which is awesome!! It happened so fast that I almost didn't realize it!! Awesome!!
We started off good. It was weird and is weird to say this, but I was not in control of Sunday morning's service. I had given that to God. Yes, it was a little nerve wrecking and a little awkward, but I had a peace that God was going to do whatever He needed to do.
I told my Bible story -- I think I messed it up. I'm going to have to go back and see. I think I got my number of days mixed up and I didn't finish the story of how Daniel was 10 times stronger than the other men at the end of his "fast from the King's food". Oh well. . I'm not satisfied with that, but I am not going to dwell on it.
So, we broke into small groups. 2nd through 5th grades small groups were about the same. We weren't sure how the younger kids' groups were going to work out. We put the Kindergarten and 1st grades together (quite a big group) and we put the 4 & 5 year olds (those that aren't in kindergarten yet) together (quite a large group) and we put all the 3 year olds together (only 10 kids -- 9 girls and Evan).
I was going to help Nicole with the 3 year olds because I thought they would be the hardest. Boy, was I wrong!!! Those ten little 3 year olds did whatever I asked them to do (although sometimes they looked at me funny when I told them we were going to run in place)! They sat in a circle and ate their snacks and they colored and shared!! I was amazed!! Then, I look up. . .
Krissy had the 4 & 5 year olds. I felt TERRIBLE for what I saw!! She was trying to teach the kids about how Daniel was 10 times stronger and there was a cute part on getting the kids to experience that. When I looked up, she had 2 kids trying to escape from 2 different doors!! She had about 5 kids that were in their own little worlds -- tackling, hitting, building blocks -- anything but paying attention.
So, I decided to go help her out. Oh my goodness!!! There was one little boy that I had to put in my lap, put my legs over his legs, and my arms around him to get him to sit and listen. Yes, I know I was holding hiim against his will -- get ready for some confessions of a children's pastor!! But, I was convinced that if he would just see what she was trying to teach, he would be interested. WRONG!!
Finally, I gave up trying to restrain him because there were about 8 others that were completely out of control. Krissy did have about 4 that were doing whatever she wanted them to do. It was hard to focus on those 4, when the rest were out of control. At 12 pm, Krissy just said, "How much longer?" I went to see and Pastor Bryan was still preaching. On my way back, I realized we hadn't done any worship, so decided to come back to large group and worship until the parents came.
That worked ok . . when you're worshipping, you don't realize those kids that are just running around everywhere. ;)
So, that ends our day. Dustin, Krissy, and I talked after everyone was gone and we're all still going to do children's ministry. We strategized a little bit more on our check-out system and figured out a way to make that smoother. This week on my agenda is to figure out how to fix this 4 & 5 year old group.
But, we aren't giving up. It felt so nice for all of us to be together today. There was energy (maybe too much for some kids) and we had new toys that everyone loved. Next week, we'll have our new set (it will be awesome)! I know that God is going to do something with us all in the same room. I think I did what He wanted me to do, though -- let go of control. Let me say this, too. I am not frustrated. I am not giving up. I am not giving in. I'm going to push through and we will be successful!! It will take time for all of us to adjust, but God is going to give us a strategy to reach EVERY boy and girl that comes through our doors.
No comments:
Post a Comment